For many of us, peanuts are a tasty, nutrient-rich snack, but for individuals with peanut allergies, exposure could be life-threatening. Fortunately, access to various peanut allergy treatment options has increased over the years. It is now possible to both desensitize the immune system and minimize the risk of anaphylaxis. But what peanut allergy treatments are most effective for Atlanta patients?
Understanding the Main Peanut Allergy Treatments
Alleviating and managing peanut allergy symptoms is only possible with a targeted treatment plan from an allergy doctor.
Avoidance and Adjusting Diet
Avoidance is usually one of the initial approaches to dealing with peanut allergies. By carefully reading labels, educating friends and family and inquiring about ingredients at restaurants, individuals with peanut allergies can reduce the risk of accidental exposure.
Antihistamines and Other Medications
For mild allergic reactions, antihistamines will alleviate peanut allergy symptoms such as itching and hives. In cases of a severe reaction, an epinephrine auto-injector is a critical medication to deal with anaphylaxis.
The Peanut Pill – Palforzia
Palforzia is an FDA-approved medication that contains peanut protein. This treatment is designed to gradually desensitize the immune system to peanuts. However, according to a study in The Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, patients frequently transition from the peanut pill to a dietary peanut product after reaching their maintenance dose.
Oral Immunotherapy Treatment (OIT)
Oral immunotherapy treatment (OIT) is considered by many to be the best approach for treating peanut allergies. OIT differs from the peanut pill in that OIT uses various dietary peanut products from treatment outset. And with the taste and convenience benefits these peanut products deliver, children will likely follow the process all the way through to desensitization.
OIT specialists use safe doses of many of the following products to desensitize the immune system to peanut protein.
- Peanuts – Using actual peanuts allows for a direct, measured approach.
- Peanut M&M’s – These can be used in controlled quantities.
- Peanut Butter – A versatile option that kids enjoy.
- Smoothies With Peanut Butter – An alternative way to consume peanut protein.
Importantly, you should only use these options with guidance from a food allergy specialist treatment center such as Chacko Food Allergy Treatment Center.
The Oral Immunotherapy Treatment Process
Oral immunotherapy treatment involves a structured process, one that ensures safety and gradual tolerance-building to the allergen.
- Initial Dosing – At the allergist’s office patients receive small, controlled doses of peanut protein.
- Build-Up Phase – The patient takes increasingly larger doses of peanut protein daily for several weeks or months.
- Maintenance Phase – Once a target dose is reached, the patient continues to take this dose daily.
- Monitoring and Follow-Up – Regular appointments with the allergist are necessary to monitor progress and adjust dosages if needed.
Contact Us for Safe Peanut Allergy Treatments in Atlanta
Chacko Food Allergy Treatment Center delivers peanut allergy testing and treatment services in Alpharetta, Atlanta, Canton, Cumming, Druid Hills, Duluth and Johns Creek. For assistance overcoming a food allergy, call (678) 668-4688 or request an appointment today.
Image Credit – Dragana Gordic/shutterstock.com